Search FQXi

If you have an idea for a blog post or a new forum thread, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org, with a summary of the topic and its source (e.g., an academic paper, conference talk, external blog post or news item).
Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the blogger are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Steve Dufourny: on 8/12/12 at 11:06am UTC, wrote Hello Lawrence, I hope that all will be better for you soon. The life is...

Lawrence B. Crowell: on 8/8/12 at 12:24pm UTC, wrote I am getting through. I finished some contract work at the end of June,...

Steve Dufourny: on 8/8/12 at 1:45am UTC, wrote Hello Lawrence, Happy to see you again,hope you are well.

Lawrence B. Crowell: on 8/8/12 at 1:08am UTC, wrote I think based on the comments here that people missed a big point of this...

Pentcho Valev: on 8/6/12 at 15:56pm UTC, wrote Jean-Marc Bonnet-Bidaud, another French astrophysicist, also hates the...

Pentcho Valev: on 8/6/12 at 14:21pm UTC, wrote Jean-Claude Pecker is astrophysicien, membre de l'Académie des sciences,...

Pentcho Valev: on 8/6/12 at 12:09pm UTC, wrote Hi Zeeya, In my view, the Hubble redshift can only have the following...

Steve Dufourny: on 8/3/12 at 14:12pm UTC, wrote Hello dear professors, I have seen the Institute of Advanced Studies. I...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Thomas Ray: ""Different preferred methodologies will indeed give different answers." ..." in The Quantum Pet Store:...

Peter Jackson: "Steve, I use what's actually found, you rely on old guesses. Different..." in The Quantum Pet Store:...

John Merryman: "Thanks Jonathan. I get a moment later in the day.. Regards, John M" in Black Holes Do Not Exist,...

John Merryman: "Tom, The problem with the premise of monotheism is that absolute is..." in Black Holes Do Not Exist,...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Life's Quantum Crystal Ball
Does the ability to predict the future—perhaps with quantum help—define the fundamental difference between living and inanimate matter?

The Quantum Truth Seeker
Watching particles fly through an interferometer might help to unveil higher-order weirdness behind quantum theory.

Quantifying Occam
Is the simplest answer always the best? Connecting Medieval monks to computational complexity, using the branch of mathematics known as category theory.

Heart of Darkness
An intrepid physicist attempts to climb into the core of black hole.

Why Quantum?
Entropy could explain why nature chose to play by quantum rules.

FQXi BLOGS
October 24, 2014

CATEGORY: Blog [back]
TOPIC: Congratulating the Milner Prize Recipients! [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

FQXi Administrator Zeeya Merali wrote on Jul. 31, 2012 @ 14:30 GMT
July’s turning out to be a pretty good month for physics.

Alan Guth (right)
FQXi is all abuzz at news that two of our members, inflation supremos Alan Guth (pictured right, with Alex Vilenkin) and Andrei Linde (pictured below), have been chosen to be among the first winners of the newly established Fundamental Physics Prize. There are nine recipients in total, who each pick up a hefty $3 million, thanks to the generosity of Yuri Milner, a former physics grad student who earned his fortune through investing in Internet companies. (More details--including about the contents of Guth's bank account--from the New York Times.)

You can read about some of the FQXi-funded research carried out by Guth and Linde, and watch videos of Linde's FQXi talks, below.

Congratulations too to string theorists Nima Arkani-Hamed, Juan Maldecena, Nathan Seiberg, Ed Witten, and Ashoke Sen, and also to quantum computing expert Alexei Kitaev and mathematician Maxim Kontsevich. You can read about Seiberg’s work looking into how space might be emergent, in “Melting Spacetime” by Graeme Stemp-Morlock.

The NYT article also notes that the prize can be awarded for work that has not yet been verified by experiment--a great move allowing us to celebrate some tremendous insights in theoretical physics. Mr. Milner, we like your style!

So who do you think should be the next recipients? Perhaps someone who has (so far) been overlooked by the Nobel committee because experiments have not yet caught up with their theories? There will also be a $100,000 prize honoring promising young researchers. Who would you nominate?

Andrei Linde

--

Andrei Linde talks about the Nature of Time in Inflation and Quantum Cosmology (5 parts):

this post has been edited by the forum administrator

report post as inappropriate

Pentcho Valev wrote on Jul. 31, 2012 @ 15:07 GMT
And if the expanding universe is a myth? Some day the prize may go to people like Shtyrkov:

http://bourabai.narod.ru/shtyrkov/evolution.htm

"At present it is ascertained that vacuum is not an "empty space" - rather, it is a certain material continuum with quite definite although still unknown properties. This has been confirmed by observation of vacuum effects such as "zero-oscillations", vacuum polarization, particle generation by electromagnetic interactions. Therefore it is reasonable to suggest that physical vacuum could have internal friction due to its own small but real viscosity, which in the end produces redshift. (...) ...the differential equation for the speed of light dc/dt=-Ho*c(t)"

FQXi member Julian Barbour is also looking for an "explanation of the Hubble red shift that does not rely on expansion of the universe":

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/gr-qc/pdf/0211/0211021v2
.pdf

Julian Barbour: "The greatest need is for an explanation of the Hubble red shift that does not rely on expansion of the universe."

Pentcho Valev pvalev@yahoo.com

Zeeya replied on Jul. 31, 2012 @ 15:27 GMT
"And if the expanding universe is a myth?"

That's a fair point Pentcho. If you give awards before the ideas have been verified by experiment, then there is a danger the work will be wrong. But maybe some theories have been so fruitful that they deserve recognition for stimulating imagination and for their insight anyway? Even if ultimately that proof doesn't come.

Pentcho Valev replied on Jul. 31, 2012 @ 15:52 GMT
OK, but then why does any heretic, Halton Arp for instance, automatically become an unperson?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf5y6PJR5lE

"Halton Arp : victim of RATIONAL Scientific society"

http://www.liferesearchuniversal.com/1984-4

George Orwell: "Withers, however, was already an unperson. He did not exist : he had never existed."

Jason Wolfe replied on Jul. 31, 2012 @ 15:54 GMT
If the expanding universe is wrong, does that mean that the big bang is wrong too? It just seems reasonable that if something explodes, it should expand until it reaches a boundary (like fragments from a grenade). Why wouldn't our universe just keep expanding? Unless it was bumping into some previously existing universe.

Vijay Mohan Gupta wrote on Jul. 31, 2012 @ 19:19 GMT
Dear Pentcho Valev and Shtyrkov,

Expanding Universe – A myth

The understanding of red shift of lines of radiation spectrum from distant astronomical objects proportional to the distance from observer, is explained in PicoPhysics as a result of non-conserved (anti-Konservation) character of space.

Pico Physics, is able to integrate most of other topics of interest mentioned in the post. As a pico- physicist, I have submitted first essay on interpretation of universe as 5-Dimensional reality at http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/1326

Your comments and evaluation is invited. We will be expanding on the same to provide further insight into PicoPhysics world view of nature.

Vijay Gupta

Georgina Parry wrote on Jul. 31, 2012 @ 21:23 GMT
Well done to all the winners.

Especially Yuri Milner, who has gambled well and been very generous with his winnings.

Georgina Parry replied on Jul. 31, 2012 @ 22:25 GMT
Its a funny old world. $3 million sounds like a lot of money however:

NZ All Black, Sonny Bill Williams is said to have a deal worth NZ$ 1.7 to play 12 rugby games for Japan.

People can win $1 million for a short video ad for a popular, spicy, packet snack food!

I have read (ABC news), and heard elsewhere, that celebrities can earn between $500,000 and $3 million for endorsing well known weight loss plans. (They might even put on a few pounds just so they can.)

I could say what I think about all that- but I'd rather let you work it for yourselves.

Anonymous replied on Jul. 31, 2012 @ 22:47 GMT
Hello,

Lol :) Georgina, If I could won only 80000 euros, I could pay the debts of my mother. If not, they are going to take the house. A small house of 100 m² only bought 40 years ago .perhaps they have a special paranoid prize for the crazy spheric arrogant.

I am laughing of course. My theory does not merit 1 euro after all.:)

Good luck for the recipients.Hope they shall utilize it with wisdom and consciousness.

ps to all, the expansion is just a step.

resume BB ...EXPANSION.. ACCELERATION..SPHERIZATION .DECCELARATION....MAXIMUM VOLUME SPHERE CONTRACTION ...ACCELERATION ...DECCELERATION.....UNIVERSAL SPHERE...PERFECT EQUILIBRIUM BETWEEN SPHERE.....like a heart and its oscillations...

ps 2 perhaps that the oscillation is not an unique oscillation ! as a beating of heart....see that the increasing of mass density is relevant like the central volume. See also that a critical density is essential at this maximum volume. See also that the singularities can be correlated at the quantum scale.The volumes....

Steve Duduf replied on Jul. 31, 2012 @ 23:03 GMT
it was me the crazy spherical belgian wanting a little loan for his mother.

Steve Dufourny wrote on Jul. 31, 2012 @ 23:42 GMT
Hello Mr Guth,

I am going to be frank like always. I respect the works of thinkers. But I must admit that I have difficulties to accept the multiverses.How is it possible that it exists multiverses with others laws?

Furthermore I don't agree also about this exponential expansion, it is not rational in fact simply.

Furthermore the superstrings are not really foundamentals because the quantization of this gravity is not explained rationally.My rotating spheres, yes in all humility. The electromagentism , the strong and weak inter.are unfied when we change the sense of rotations differenciating the bosons and the fermions. The inflation is rational and is under a specific universal spherization. So you see Professor Guth, the stirngs are not the only one possibility. You shall see more clear in inserting my theory of spherization.

That said I like your idea about the meiosis mitosis of this BB. Now of course is it rational ? that said , it is relevant for the computing and the changement of parameters and laws.In these universe you can delete gravity for example,or this or that. But is it the reality inside this physicality.I beleive that no.

Now if you want a cool idea :), you can change the name "multiverses" by "multispheres"

Regards

Steve Dufourny replied on Jul. 31, 2012 @ 23:53 GMT
Dear Professor Guth, you are going to better understand me.

Imagine the BB and this very short moment.You say that it like a multiplication of a cell.Like a meiosis.

Me I see as a sphere with a fractalization from this main central sphere implying a specific serie of spheres, with a decrease of volumes of spheres.The serie is finite and precise. After I see a multiplication of this...

view entire post

Steve Dufourny replied on Aug. 1, 2012 @ 00:28 GMT
The inflation is a relavant tool for the taxonomy , evolutive of our beautiful universal sphere and its spheres. The conservation of Energy is essential of course on the entropical arrow of times. It is a little like the SR and GR. if we have not these tools, how can we calculate correctly the intrinsic dynamic.

I beleive that inflation is a good concept if and only if it is under several...

view entire post

Steve Dufourny replied on Aug. 1, 2012 @ 00:33 GMT
HARMONICAL PARAMETRIC SPHERICAL OSCILLATOR ....

SEE THAT THE ROTATIONS OF VOLUMES BECOME VERY RELEVANT when the serie is finite.and that the volume is evolutive for the universal sphere.

Steve Dufourny wrote on Aug. 2, 2012 @ 19:53 GMT
Dear Professor Witten,

I have always found the strings interesting for the oscillations. Before that I have found my spheres of course. I beleive that the convergences can be very very relevant considering the volumes of spheres.if the membrans of these different volumes of spheres are in oscillations and rotations.So it becomes very relevant when we consider the serie of the uniquness. I beleive that we can converge if we respect all the dterministic superimposings. The mathematical extrapolations can be purelly dterministic and rational.

All this puzzle becomes very relevant when we insert the wave particle duality.Indeed the senses of rotation of the serie of uniqueness more the volumes, the mass, the density, the synchro m/hv, the sortings, all these things permit a real unification bosons/fermions.

Congratulations for the winners, the prizes.after all, what will be a scientist if he cannot finance his experiments

this post has been edited by the author since its original submission

Steve Dufourny wrote on Aug. 3, 2012 @ 14:12 GMT
Hello dear professors,

I have seen the Institute of Advanced Studies. I must admit that it is very relevant. I am fascinated by the numbers. I didn't know these p-adic numbers.

In fact it is so relevant considering my theory of spherization by quantum spheres. I think that the distribution universal becomes very interesting when the groups are inserted. I ask me how I can derivate and integrate the groups of spheres with the volumes of the serie of Uniqueness.In all case, the universal serie is precise and finited.The groups can be inserted with the volumes of this serie. The prime numbers are facinatings.The 1 like the chief orchestra. The distributions of rationals can be in a pure rational topology in 3D due to the classment of groups.

Sorry I will continue later, I must go. I have in all humility several relevances. I am going to read some works on IAS.

until soon

this post has been edited by the author since its original submission

Pentcho Valev wrote on Aug. 6, 2012 @ 12:09 GMT
Hi Zeeya,

In my view, the Hubble redshift can only have the following origin:

http://ldolphin.org/recentlight.html

"As a photon of light travels through the vacuum, it hits a virtual particle, is absorbed, and then shortly after is re-emitted. This process, while fast, still takes a finite time to occur. Thus, a photon of light is like a runner going over hurdles. The more hurdles over a set distance on the track the longer it takes for runners to reach their destination. Thus, if the energy content of space increased with time, more virtual particles would manifest per unit distance, and so the longer light would take to reach its destination."

That is, constituents of the vacuum SLOW DOWN the speed of light. As you can see from the rest of the text, leading cosmologists do discuss the idea, although in a somewhat secret manner for the moment. Some day all the prizes will go in that direction. The expanding universe is a myth.

Pentcho Valev replied on Aug. 6, 2012 @ 14:21 GMT
Jean-Claude Pecker is astrophysicien, membre de l'Académie des sciences, professeur au Collège de France. Yet the following words automatically convert him into an unperson:

http://www.zetetique.ldh.org/bigbang.html

Jean-Claude Pecker: "En voyageant dans l'espace, la lumière interagit avec le milieu traversé, avec les particules du vide intergalactique, avec les champs gravitationnels qui l'habitent, avec les ondes qui le parcourent, ... avec... que sais-je?; la lumière perd de l'énergie de façon proportionnelle à la durée du trajet : c'est la loi de Hubble, prédite très simplement."

http://www.liferesearchuniversal.com/1984-4

George Orwell: "Withers, however, was already an unperson. He did not exist : he had never existed."

Pentcho Valev replied on Aug. 6, 2012 @ 15:56 GMT
Jean-Marc Bonnet-Bidaud, another French astrophysicist, also hates the expanding universe and the Big Bang:

http://passeurdesciences.blog.lemonde.fr/2012/05/14/le-
modele-du-big-bang-est-fragile/

Jean-Marc Bonnet-Bidaud: "Le deuxième aspect, c'est la fameuse question de l'expansion de l'Univers : nous observons un décalage vers le rouge de la lumière d'objets lointains et nous en déduisons que l'Univers se dilate. Mais cette interprétation n'est qu'une des hypothèses possibles et l'on n'a pas forcément besoin d'avoir un Univers en expansion pour obtenir ce décalage vers le rouge de la lumière. C'est important car il s'agit de la base même du modèle du Big Bang."

Yet his sin is much more serious than that. In fact, Jean-Marc Bonnet-Bidaud committed the original sin: in 2008 he suddenly declared that at least the first fifty years of experimental verification of Einstein's general relativity were years of manipulation and fraud:

http://irfu.cea.fr/Phocea/file.php?file=Ast/2774/RELATIVITE-
052-456.pdf

Jean-Marc Bonnet-Bidaud: "Le monde entier a cru pendant plus de cinquante ans à une théorie non vérifiée. Car, nous le savons aujourd'hui, les premières preuves, issues notamment d'une célèbre éclipse de 1919, n'en étaient pas. Elles reposaient en partie sur des manipulations peu avouables visant à obtenir un résultat connu à l'avance, et sur des mesures entachées d'incertitudes, quand il ne s'agissait pas de fraudes caractérisées. Il aura fallu attendre les années 1970 pour que de nouvelles méthodes parviennent enfin à fournir des preuves expérimentales solides de la relativité."

Lawrence B. Crowell wrote on Aug. 8, 2012 @ 01:08 GMT
I think based on the comments here that people missed a big point of this lecture. The Schrodinger equation describes the evolution of a wave function according to a Hamiltonian which is the generator of time translations. The Hamiltonian in classical gravity is zero, or NH = 0, for N the lapse function. This is a standard result of ADM general relativity. The reason for this, as Andre argued,...

view entire post

Steve Dufourny replied on Aug. 8, 2012 @ 01:45 GMT
Hello Lawrence,

Happy to see you again,hope you are well.

Lawrence B. Crowell replied on Aug. 8, 2012 @ 12:24 GMT
I am getting through. I finished some contract work at the end of June, and am now trying to find something else. The death of my brother last month put a crimp in doing that.

Cheers LC

Steve Dufourny replied on Aug. 12, 2012 @ 11:06 GMT
Hello Lawrence,

I hope that all will be better for you soon. The life is sometimes difficult but the universal faith helps a lot.It permits to accept his own sufferings.

Take care .

Regards

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.