Search FQXi

If you have an idea for a blog post or a new forum thread, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org, with a summary of the topic and its source (e.g., an academic paper, conference talk, external blog post or news item).
Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the blogger are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Eric S.: on 1/10/09 at 1:48am UTC, wrote I love the downright Blakean response this kind of topic can evidently...

John Baryczka: on 12/30/08 at 13:43pm UTC, wrote Accepting Reality. The gap between the Dreamer and the Academic, the...

William Orem: on 8/28/08 at 13:19pm UTC, wrote Because this is FQXi, I want to post another radical suggestion – this...

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Thomas Ray: "" ... finds a causal rationale ... One can rationalize anything, Peter;..." in The Quantum Pet Store:...

Steve Agnew: "It is true that the QM duality does make for a rather confusing description..." in Black Holes Do Not Exist,...

Steve Agnew: "It is truly amazing that you say these things. "Sound energy does not..." in Black Holes Do Not Exist,...

Steve Agnew: "I am just going by the numbers that I read in the vast majority of the very..." in The Quantum Pet Store:...

Steve Agnew: "Electrons scattered from a thread will behave either ballistically or..." in Pilot Wave Hydrodynamics

Pentcho Valev: "Fatal Acceleration in Einstein's Special Relativity ON THE ELECTRODYNAMICS..." in Ripping Apart Einstein

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

Life's Quantum Crystal Ball
Does the ability to predict the future—perhaps with quantum help—define the fundamental difference between living and inanimate matter?

The Quantum Truth Seeker
Watching particles fly through an interferometer might help to unveil higher-order weirdness behind quantum theory.

Quantifying Occam
Is the simplest answer always the best? Connecting Medieval monks to computational complexity, using the branch of mathematics known as category theory.

Heart of Darkness
An intrepid physicist attempts to climb into the core of black hole.

Why Quantum?
Entropy could explain why nature chose to play by quantum rules.

FQXi BLOGS
October 25, 2014

CATEGORY: Blog [back]
TOPIC: Life Before Earth [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Blogger William Orem wrote on Aug. 28, 2008 @ 13:19 GMT

Because this is FQXi, I want to post another radical suggestion – this time related to the possibility of life on the moon.

Before I do, though, one reader has asked a reasonable follow-up question to the last post: why was NASA ever concerned about “lunar germs”? How could microbes have gotten to the moon in the first place?

About NASA’s quarantine program back in...

view entire post

this post has been edited by the author since its original submission

report post as inappropriate

John Baryczka wrote on Dec. 30, 2008 @ 13:43 GMT
Accepting Reality.

The gap between the Dreamer and the Academic, the Historian and the Physicist, the Inventor and the Mathematician seems just too big to our own detriment. Religious wars start through ignorance and bigotry and modern man denies the very roots of his existance. OK then folks, just "who" was around to record the Earth as being a hothouse (EDEN) surrounded by the up to three...

view entire post

Eric S. wrote on Jan. 10, 2009 @ 01:48 GMT
I love the downright Blakean response this kind of topic can evidently elicit!

Regarding your blog post though:

I think the notion of transpermia is very enticing, and not too hard to believe. After all, endolithic life can be extremely hardy and long-lasting. There are also (less extreme) models for sort of thing on Earth. For example, microscopic coral larva are broadcast throughout our planet’s oceans on the off chance they will happen to end up in waters of exactly the right temperature, depth, etc. to support a new colony. It’s not impossible to imagine that a similar model might function at the scale of solar systems. In fact it’s a rather reassuring thought.

Transpermia is also a fun idea to play around with. I remember reading a cold-war era science fiction story that involved an advanced hominid race which was (tragically!) too warlike for its own good. They end up blowing themselves up (and their entire home planet too!) in a final, all-out war. The lone narrator (sitting on a space station, I presume) realizes that the chunks of his beloved home world whizzing past him are ripe with bacteria, and he flashes on the idea that total, globally-annihilating nuclear war is part of the natural cycle for “planetary life”, that nuclear war is a planet’s (literally orgasmic?) way of reproducing.

About the possibility that dormant lunar endoliths might have originated on Earth and survived on the moon’s surface *from it’s very moment of creation*, this seems a little unlikely to me. You say that “most of what was ejected would be molten, but not all of it.” Even if some of the ejecta was not initially molten, wouldn’t it have become molten pretty quickly when it combined with the rest of the matter that forms our moon? I admit I have a difficult time imagining what this cataclysmic event would have looked like, but with the amount of energy required to liberate that much matter from the home planet’s gravity well, it seems like there would be a lot of heat left over for a very long time.

Certainly endolithic microbes could have been ejected from subsequent impacts and made it to the Moon’s surface once it had already cooled, but this wouldn’t provide the same kind of snapshot of “pre-biosphere earth biota”.

Thanks for the blog post. Fascinating stuff!

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.