Search FQXi

If you have an idea for a blog post or a new forum thread, then please contact us at forums@fqxi.org, with a summary of the topic and its source (e.g., an academic paper, conference talk, external blog post or news item).
Forum Home
Introduction
Terms of Use

Order posts by:
 chronological order
 most recent first

Posts by the blogger are highlighted in orange; posts by FQXi Members are highlighted in blue.

By using the FQXi Forum, you acknowledge reading and agree to abide by the Terms of Use

RSS feed | RSS help
RECENT POSTS IN THIS TOPIC

Lazy Larry Forex: on 11/3/11 at 10:19am UTC, wrote I am always investigating online for tips that can benefit me. Thanks!

appliance repair Calabasas: on 9/24/11 at 19:28pm UTC, wrote Hi there clever points.. now why didn't i consider these? Off subject...

shore excursions in St.Petersburg: on 9/2/11 at 11:10am UTC, wrote I've to confess that i sometimes get bored to learn the whole thing but i...

shore excursions in St.Petersburg: on 8/31/11 at 1:29am UTC, wrote Actually one of many challenges which people starting a brand new on-line...

crystal lighting wholesale: on 8/26/11 at 13:20pm UTC, wrote I needed to thanks for this nice learn!! I definitely having fun with every...

how to get money online: on 6/25/11 at 19:50pm UTC, wrote Very efficiently written information. It is going to be helpful to anyone...

make money internet: on 6/16/11 at 14:10pm UTC, wrote You ought to essentially take into consideration working on developing this...

zhqvrqb: on 7/13/09 at 7:28am UTC, wrote 1NjVjM

RECENT FORUM POSTS

Abhas Mitra: "If the Black Hole Candidates (BHCs) Are Not True BHs, What Could They Be:..." in Black Holes Do Not Exist,...

Steve Agnew: "The very beautiful timekeepers of our galaxy are the pulsars and there are..." in Killing Time

Steve Agnew: "Action is the change that takes place. "Thanks for trying, but I'm..." in Black Holes Do Not Exist,...

Jason Wolfe: "Hi Akinbo "Do we need to ask the grey aliens for help on this Peter's..." in The Quantum Pet Store:...

Thomas Ray: "If you haven't gotten it by now, Eckard, I don't think further explanation..." in Your Invitation to FQXi's...

Eckard Blumschein: "Tom, I misspelled Maupertuis as Maupertius. Wiki/Mauperuis does the same..." in Your Invitation to FQXi's...

Vladimir Rogozhin: "Eckard, To grasp the nature of time is necessary to "grasp" the dialectic..." in Killing Time

Vladimir Rogozhin: "Peter, Ontology + dialectic "coincidence of opposites" to "grab"..." in Dust Settling on the...

RECENT ARTICLES
click titles to read articles

The Quantum Truth Seeker
Watching particles fly through an interferometer might help to unveil higher-order weirdness behind quantum theory.

Quantifying Occam
Is the simplest answer always the best? Connecting Medieval monks to computational complexity, using the branch of mathematics known as category theory.

Heart of Darkness
An intrepid physicist attempts to climb into the core of black hole.

Why Quantum?
Entropy could explain why nature chose to play by quantum rules.

Reality's NeverEnding Story
A quantum version of Darwinian natural selection could enable the universe to write itself into being.

FQXi BLOGS
October 1, 2014

CATEGORY: Blog [back]
TOPIC: The Convexity Club [refresh]
Bookmark and Share
Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Blogger Matthew Saul Leifer wrote on Aug. 15, 2007 @ 17:31 GMT
Plenty of people have been writing about the recent fqxi conference, which was excellent by the way, so I'll write instead about another fqxi-funded event that happened at the beginning of July in St. Catherine's college, Cambridge.

The two-week workshop was entitled Operational Probabilistic Theories as Foils for Quantum Theory and organized by Rob Spekkens, Jonathan Barrett and...

view entire post

this post has been edited by the author since its original submission

report post as inappropriate

paul valletta wrote on Aug. 16, 2007 @ 03:02 GMT
"How can we understand why the world obeys quantum theory rather than any of the other theories?"

One can start with the H.U.P?..can one really locate (measure) a particle..anywhere?

If you know a particle's position, you may not know it's momentum. Relative to the process of measure is what one is asking about the process of measure and measurer. The history of a particle WRT time, is "fixed". You can know a particles path in a past history, it is "fixed", without knowing it's path in a future trajectory, "random" and uncertain.

Now WRT the H.U.P, one can make assumptions based on position and momentum, thus:If one knows a particles future path, then it's location history is unknown. (this is my intepretation).

Seems straight forward for observers, time dictates an observer to be the measurer in a "now" context, if the measurer tries to observe a particles future, then the observation will fail to make sense?

Thinking about the "contact" needed for measurement, how does one locate something that has not yet reached there?..I mean I am trying to pinpoint an objects position of where it is "not" ( it's future location ), by determining where it is ( where it HAS been ), the possible way I can determine a full observation measurment, is to perform the measuments at a very fast rate,(signaling the results performed, to confirm measures taken) faster than the devise is capable of?

The is a limit of observation, random variables operate differently for every measure needed, if say one random variable becomes known (random variable of particles future location), then the corrsponding momentum (which is really nothing more than the particles history), will become unknown, or in the context of particle interactions, become a changed (as opposed to fixed, perminant) factor.

This can be translated to the appearance of "unmeasured" particles, and dissapearance of "measured" particles, as QM shows.

Blogger Matthew Saul Leifer wrote on Aug. 16, 2007 @ 16:48 GMT
I think this is a fairly conventional view, but I don't think the HUP can really be used as a founding principle for quantum theory, at least not in its usual form. In particular, it is not strong enough to entail the canonical commutation relations. In fact, having something like a HUP is another thing that's going to be generic in the framework I described.

Bee wrote on Aug. 20, 2007 @ 13:33 GMT
off topic: there's something wrong with the picture placement using Internet Explorer (pics are on top of each other and cover the text).

Ian Durham wrote on Aug. 27, 2007 @ 01:18 GMT
Actually, the commutation relations *lead* to HUP (well, to Schrödinger's generalization of HUP) so, in a sense, you'd almost be better off building everything on that (the commutation relations). In essence, what I think Matt is describing is a generalization that contains sets of inequalities, one class of which are Schrödinger's generalized HUP, and so forth. Reminds me a bit of something I tried to do once with set theory (http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0508076). I don't think I was terribly successful, but I'm sure these insanely smart folks will succeed.

paul valletta wrote on Aug. 28, 2007 @ 19:40 GMT
Ian, are you the same I T Durham, as cited in this co-incedetally topic relevant recent paper? :http://arxiv.org/abs/0708.3519

zhqvrqb wrote on Jul. 13, 2009 @ 07:28 GMT
1NjVjM

make money internet wrote on Jun. 16, 2011 @ 14:10 GMT
You ought to essentially take into consideration working on developing this weblog into a serious authority on this market. You evidently have a grasp handle of the topics everyone is looking for on this web site anyways and you might certainly even earn a buck or two off of some advertisements. I might explore following latest matters and raising the amount of write ups you set up and I assure you’d begin seeing some amazing targeted visitors in the near future. Only a thought, good luck in whatever you do!

how to get money online wrote on Jun. 25, 2011 @ 19:50 GMT
Very efficiently written information. It is going to be helpful to anyone who usess it, including myself. Keep up the nice work – for certain i'll take a look at more posts.

crystal lighting wholesale wrote on Aug. 26, 2011 @ 13:20 GMT
I needed to thanks for this nice learn!! I definitely having fun with every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you put up

shore excursions in St.Petersburg wrote on Aug. 31, 2011 @ 01:29 GMT
Actually one of many challenges which people starting a brand new on-line company face is that of obtaining visitors to their web site.

shore excursions in St.Petersburg wrote on Sep. 2, 2011 @ 11:10 GMT
I've to confess that i sometimes get bored to learn the whole thing but i believe you can add some value. Bravo !

appliance repair Calabasas wrote on Sep. 24, 2011 @ 19:28 GMT
Hi there clever points.. now why didn't i consider these? Off subject slightly, is that this web page sample merely from an extraordinary installation or else do you employ a custom-made template. I use a webpage i’m in search of to improve and well the visuals is probably going one of the key issues to finish on my list.

Lazy Larry Forex wrote on Nov. 3, 2011 @ 10:19 GMT
I am always investigating online for tips that can benefit me. Thanks!

Login or create account to post reply or comment.

Please enter your e-mail address:
Note: Joining the FQXi mailing list does not give you a login account or constitute membership in the organization.